Star Citizen is a space simulation made by Wing Commander and Freelancer creator Chris Roberts. The game is in Alpha, the current patch is version Alpha 3.7. It is a true 64-bit game with centimeter precision on the one hand and millions of kilometers distance between planets.
What can I do in Star Citizen at the moment?
The Persistent Universe (PU):
- a solar system with a completely walkable planet (Hurston), a city planet (ArcCorp) with a landing zone (Area 18) and 9 walkable moons (each several hundred km diameter). The goal is to get 100 solar systems in the future, each with a handful of Planets and their moons.
- On Hurston there are serveral bases (above and underground) and the city „Lorville“. In Lorville there are different shops, mission givers, the first spaceport, habitations and metro lines, which connect the parts of the city.
- On each moon there are several bases as well. Some of them are simpler, some are more complex.
- New in patch 3.7: Caves. Several hundret meters long/deep. Twisted corridors and big halls to explore.
- more than 80 ships and over 160 variants (more to come of course) with upgradable weapons, shield and power systems.
- Missions: deliver cargo, mining on moons, planets and asteroids (with special laser mining ships), scramble races (some kind of checkpoint race), collecting informations, fighting pirates, hacking stations, search and destroy sattelites, drug dealing…
- we have a basic implementation of dynamic trading – you can buy and sell goods on different location with variing prices
- several space stations (Port Olisar, the „main station“, several „truck stops“ and other different stations for missions)
- a group system: you can group together with other players / friends, chat, travel together (will be extendend in the future to share missions)
- you can buy ships in-game
- VOIP und FOIP: Voice over IP = in-game voice chat, Face over IP = your character mimics your face with the help of motion tracing & your webcam
New in 3.5:
- A complex character editor with both female and mal playable characters
- ArcCorp – the city planet from the CitizenCon 2017 demo with its landing zone Area 18
- new moons Wala and Lyria (at ArcCorp)
- the first implementation of the reputation/law system: local CrimeStats, bounty rewards and local missions
- Escort Beacons (you can pay other players for escorting you on your flight)
- Ships: Rework of the Origin 300i (rest of the 300 series coming soon™), M50 improvements, new ships: MISC Reliant Tana, Sen and Mako
- Weapons: Gemini S71 assault rifle, Kastak Arms Coda hand gun, GT-870 ship cannons
- New flight model – aerodynamics and mass are now far more important and ships will drift a lot more – atmospheric flight will differ from space flight a lot more – cargo will affect the ships mass and its flight behaviour
- Performance: Verbesserungen im Object Container Streaming, Surface & Organic Shader improvements, Kugeln erhalten eine eigene verbesserte Physik, Network Multithreading wird verbesset und das Lobby System wird verbessert (Dynamische Zuordnung der Spieler zu Servern, Grundlage für das kommende Server Meshing)
Coming in patch 3.6 (Q2 2019):
- harvestable vegetation
- Ships: 890 Jump and Banu Defender
- Hover Mode / Vertical take off and landing (VTOL)
- FPS weapon attachments (scopes, etc.)
- Black market
- Renting ships in-game
And as usual: Improvements of AI, missions, locations, performance,…
Will it run on my system?
Currently I play Star Citizen with 30-60fps on my Xeon E3-1231 v3,
GTX 1060, 24GB Ram, SSD. With modern systems you can reach 60-100 fps+.
RSI created this overview site where you can see the performance of different versions on different systems:
What if I just want to play a short round?
We have a simulation mode with different options:
A training mode for ship testing, dogfighting, racing and training on several „smaller“ maps.
A first person shooter module with different modes like team deathmatch on smaller maps.
With each game package you get a smaller or bigger (depending on package) hangar. here you can spawn and watch your personal ships. Later on this feature will be implemented into the open universe.
This is the roadmap where you can find all upcoming features and their status: https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen
What about single player?
In addition to the open MMORPG universe CIG develops the single player campaign Squadron 42, starring Mark Hamil, Gillian Anderson and others. SQ42 is sold as a seperate package, sets in the same universe as Star Citizen. You can safe some bucks if you buy SC + SQ42 together in one package.
This is the newest Squadron 42 trailer:
Squadron 42 gameplay preview:
The Squadron 42 roadmap:
Ok, how much?
Star Citizen and Squadron 42 each cost 53.55 USD with a starter ship. You can get a SC + SQ42 + starter ship bundle for 77.35 USD. Every other donation is optional and not necessary to play the game. With buying a package you can play most missions. For some missions you will need a more advanced ship. Here you have 3 options:
- Grinding UEC (in-game currency) and buying another ship in-game.
- Pay 20 USD extra and get a Avenger Titan (great allrounder ship for beginners which is capable of doing most missions)
- Lend a ship from another player
Feel free to use my referral code for registration, with which you will get 5000 UEC starting capital.
Here you can get a free account: ENLIST
Here you can buy a starter package:
Here you can get Squadron 42:
And my very personal comment:
IMPORTANT: Nobody is forced to pay more money than he needs to play it. All additional donations for ships and stuff are voluntarily and will support the development of the game. In a not so distant future you will be able to earn all ships and items and whatever you think you need in-game. Yes, there are people out there who spent several thousands on Star Citizen. Personally, I think this is debatable, but in the end its up to yourself what you do with your money. Think before you buy and don’t buy, if you need your money for other things like food, rent or paying your local backstreet loanshark.